Australian Hotels Association NSW President Scott Leach has been voted National President at a special meeting this morning.
Delegates assembled in Melbourne to vote on the position, left vacant by the colligate departure of Peter Burnett AM, following three years’ service.
Leach was elected to be the new President unopposed and unanimously, and will assume the role for the next 12 months.
“I am extremely humbled by the support of my colleagues across Australia,” he said.
“I look forward to working with the various AHA teams right across the nation over the coming year, as we continue to advocate for what is best for our industry and our hundreds of thousands of employees.”
Leach will continue to act in the role of President of AHA NSW, a position he has held since 2008, just as Burnett has continued as President for AHA Victoria.
Burnett will remain Senior Vice-President in national Association, to assist Leach in the transition into his new national role.
The AHA NSW also recently released the list of finalists for its upcoming Awards for Excellence, set to take place 29 November at a gala ceremony at The Star.
A record 600 nominations this year were assessed by a team of independent judges. AHA NSW CEO John Whelan said the finalists are the crème of the crop.
“To put it simply, the finalists list is a “who’s who” of the hotel industry in NSW – it honours the best in the business, as well as the hard work that goes into running a quality venue each and every day.
The full list of finalists can be found at www.ahansw.com.au
The 12 finalists for Hotel of the Year – City:
- Coogee Bay Hotel, Coogee (C-Inc)
- Crows Nest Hotel, Crows Nest (ALH Group)
- Hunters Hill Hotel, Hunters Hill (Iris Group)
- The Bayview Hotel, Gladesville
- The Dolphin Hotel, Surry Hills
- The Glenmore, The Rocks (W. Short Hotel Group)
- The Oaks, Neutral Bay
- The Sackville, Rozelle (Solotel)
- The Sheaf, Double Bay (Solotel)
- Union Hotel, North Sydney (Gallagher Hotels)
- Watson’s Bay Boutique Hotel, Watson’s Bay (Laundy-Short)
- Woollahra Hotel, Woollahra (Public House Management Group)